Tuesday, May 3, 2011

everyone starts somewhere!


I think the hardest thing in starting your own business is figuring out what methods work for you and your medium in order to start selling.

I've been going crazy the past four months, ever since I opened my Etsy shop, ZoiShop. A month in, I had a great week. I was super stoked to start selling. I felt like it would keep on going, and that's how it'd be from then on. But I was way off. A month went by, and even though I had gotten positive feedback from everyone, I had only one other sale.

I've spent the last couple of months researching, developing, making treasuries, joining teams, asking questions on Etsy Success, buying how-to-sell your merchandise books, all in an attempt to find that one epiphany that will make me sell again!

Finally, the day before yesterday it came to me. I had had a lingering thought about what Natasha from Mimsmaine had said during a portion of her interview. She had said that she started out doing the $7 a day thing. This inspired me to try out a four hour deal listing in my shop. I ended up selling a print. My first sale in over a month, and even though I barely made a profit, I am excited out of my mind about it!

It's funny how sometimes you just need to have a single moment of realization to make you take one step further, even if it's a baby step, you always have to remind yourself that you have to start somewhere, that everyone starts somewhere.

I'm also reading a book that photographer Elle Moss recommended through her Facebook page. It's called "The Handmade Marketplace: How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and Online", by Kari Chapin.



So far it's a very good read. I would recommend it to other entrepreneurs as well. It's one of those books that truly outlines and reminds you of all the details you need to consider while running or before running your own crafters business.

All in all, I am working hard to succeed in doing what I love. I won't give up on it. I refuse to give up as long as it's my passion. And even if it takes a while, I'll try everything before I stop.

I also found out that I might have my first solo wedding gig in July!

This month has already started out wonderfully, and I hope it keeps up in the momentum all the way through...for everyone.

Happy Tuesday.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...