Saturday, May 7, 2011

Featured Seller: Liese Chavez



Artists truly have the ability to take the observer into another world. This cannot be more true than with the work of Liese Chavez, a self-taught artist from Manitou Springs, Colorado.

Her works mesh fables, fairytales, and dreams into vivid and enchanting paintings and prints that are truly for those that love to imagine.

Liese sells her various prints and jewelry internationally through her three Etsy shops: Pale Preoccupation, Deadpan Alley and Rhombus Jewelry.

"I find inspiration in all the dreaming I did as a child. I spent a lot of time inside my head. Still do," Liese said.



Although Liese has undeniable talent for bringing those dreams and visuals from inside her head onto canvases, she is a strong believer that her ability has formed not from pure talent, but from hard work.

"Sometimes I think that people get the idea that I woke up one day being able to draw anything I fancied. Drawing like painting is a learned skill, just like playing the piano or becoming an athlete. It takes practice and dedication. People often tell me they don't think they could ever learn to draw, but I think they are just being too hard on themselves. Give yourself a proper chance to try, then judge," Liese said.

Though many of us might have a "yeah, right" response to this, there is no denying that Liese's encouragement and modesty make her a truly likeable artist, whose imagination we feel truly invited into.



Like other crafts that take dedication to minute details and extreme patience, Liese's works take a lot of hard work and focus to finish.

"It can take dozens of hours of preparation before I begin what will become a final painting." From there "oils with layers of glazing take the longest, almost two months to finish..." Liese said.



But all that time is very much worth it when the finishing results are feminine classics.

"I create things as a way to connect to others and to keep my head in the right place," Liese said.

In five years Liese hopes to be a full-time artist that can still pay her mortgage and can give herself two days off a week. To her that would truly suffice.

You can follow Liese's imaginative journey through her Twitter and Facebook pages.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely paintings.

DeadpanAlley said...

Thank you so much for the lovely feature. Your website is fantastic too, just went by for a spin. Such great photos! <3

Charmaine D'Silva said...

Lovely Sandra! I just stumbled upon your site via twitter! xo Charmaine

http://charmainedsilva.blogspot.com/

Sandra P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra P. said...

Liz - Aren't they just!

Liese - I'm glad you like it! Thank you for allowing me to write about you and your amazing work, and for taking the time to look through my photography! :]

Charmaine - Twitter is such a great tool for coming into contact with people you might not have otherwise! :] You have lovely drawings!

xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...