Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Succulent Centerpiece Idea


Ello loves! What have you been up to this weekend?

I've been dealing with an extremely frustrating situation: trying to figure out affordable centerpieces for my wedding reception that can be self-made. There are a considerable amount of options, which may very well be the problem. The flowers I'm considering are whole orchid plants, sunflowers or succulents. Maybe even a combination of all three. As well as glass vases versus clay planters.

This week I decided to try out an idea that would allow my wedding party and I to make super affordable succulent centerpieces at about $30 a table.

The amount of glass vases needed for my first centerpiece idea is more expensive than I had first anticipated, so it occurred to me that clay planters would be a good alternative. However, I wasn't sure if I liked their orange tint for the wedding or how inexpensive they can look. But then I realized I could paint the clay planters white to make them look a little more expensive. I already had four succulents I had bought at Orchard Supply about a month ago and some leftover paint, so I just needed to get the clay pots. I went to Michaels, which I love, and bought five of them in a variety of sizes and a base for under $10.





It took me about three hours (most of which was spent watching Roseanne while I waited for the paint to dry) to make the entire set.

I am not 100 percent sure if this is the idea I'm going with, it would probably need to be a little larger and perhaps include some moss for a more outdoorsy feel, but I really loved how clean and fresh the centerpiece looks, especially for the price.

5 comments:

Gray Skies said...

I LOVE it! What a great idea! I'm kind of tempted to just do this for my kitchen table.

Sandra P. said...

It's definitely something fun you can do! And you can always make it as colorful as you want. I have it on my coffee table right now, and I definitely like it there :]

christine donee said...

I love this. Also the word succulent. I love it too.

Sandra P. said...

Me too! It does roll off the tongue nicely doesn't it! I think that may be one of the reasons I like the plants so much!

We finally decided on a variation of this for the wedding. We're doing one large orchid, one medium succulent, and a few candles. :]

Leigh said...

This is so awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...